Master of Business Administration Degree🔗
with an Emphasis in Sport Security Management
As the only program of its kind in the United States, USM's College of Business and Economic Development and the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security (NCS⁴) are proud to offer a Master of Business Administration with an emphasis in Sport Security Management.
The program is designed for those who currently work, or aspire to work, in management/leadership positions in the sport safety and security industry, and offers students flexibility with a face-to-face or online format.
It is essential for individuals seeking top management positions in the sport security industry to possess the business knowledge needed to manage operations, including the ability to present a business case for return on investment for security and management solutions. By supplementing the MBA with an emphasis in Sport Security Management, graduates will be able to differentiate themselves by gaining the standard principles of business in conjunction with real-world experience necessary for security practitioners.
These top operations and security management positions at professional sports venues may include:
- Major League Baseball (MLB)
- National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)
- Indy Car Series
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- National Football League (NFL)
- National Hockey League (NHL)
- Professional Golf Association (PGA)
- Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA)
- United States Golf Association (USGA)
- United States Olympic Committee (USOC)
- United States Tennis Association (USTA)
As well as intercollegiate athletics (NCAA) and special events (Marathons, Bowl Games, etc).
Students in the program will have the opportunity to:
- Earn an MBA from one of America's top 100 business schools
- Gain real-time experience with top industry leaders through NCS⁴
- Study abroad in the UK, Italy, or Japan
To earn the MBA with an emphasis in Sport Security Management, students must complete 33 total credit hours.
The MBA curriculum consists of:
- Prerequisites - accounting, finance, and statistics (all of which can be satisfied through online courses).
- 8 graduate courses at the managerial level across the functional business disciplines (accounting, finance, marketing, organizational behavior and leadership, analytical decision making, global business systems, the global economy and strategic management)
- At least three sport security management courses
Sport Security Management Courses🔗
- Introduction to Sport Security Management - Introduction to the nature and scope of sport security. Study of domestic and international threats, natural disasters and crowd management operation issues in sport.
- Threat and Risk Assessment of Sport Venues - An overview of Homeland Security threat and risk assessment methodology as it applies to sport event venues. Students will learn how to identify vulnerabilities, analyze and mitigate risk, and harden sport facility physical protection systems.
- Sport Event Emergency Response Planning - An overview of emergency response and security plans for major sporting events, including crowd management, and consequence and crisis management.
April 1: Summer admission and Fall admission seeking a graduate assistantship
June 1: Final fall admission
November 1: Spring admission
Successfully advance your career by earning your MBA at Southern Miss!
The MBA program at Southern Miss is fully accredited by AACSB and ranked in the "Top 200 Best Part-Time MBA Programs" by U.S. News and World Report.