Master of Business Administration Degree
with an emphasis in Sport Security Management
As the only program of its kind in the United States, The University of Southern Mississippi College of Business and the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security (NCS4) are proud to offer a new Master of Business Administration with an emphasis in Sport Security Management.
The program is designed for those who currently work (or aspire to work) in management/leadership positions in the sport safety and security industry, and offers students flexibility with a face-to-face or online format.
Today, it is essential for individuals seeking top management positions in the sport security industry to possess the business knowledge needed to manage operations, including the ability to present a business case for return on investment for security and management solutions. By supplementing the MBA with an emphasis in Sport Security Management, graduates will be able to differentiate themselves by gaining the standard principles of business in conjunction with real-world experience necessary for security practitioners.
These top operations and security management positions at professional sports venues may include:
- Major League Baseball (MLB)
- National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)
- Indy Car Series
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- National Football League (NFL)
- National Hockey League (NHL)
- Professional Golf Association (PGA)
- Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA)
- United States Golf Association (USGA)
- United States Olympic Committee (USOC)
- United States Tennis Association (USTA)
As well as intercollegiate athletics (NCAA) and special events (Marathons, Bowl Games, etc).
Students in the program will have the opportunity to:
- Earn an MBA from one of America’s top 200 business schools
- Gain real-time experience with top industry leaders through NCS4
- Study abroad in Central America, Europe and Asia
To earn the MBA with an emphasis in Sport Security Management, students must complete 33 total credit hours.
The MBA curriculum consists of:
- Prerequisites - accounting, finance, and statistics (all of which can be satisfied through online courses).
- 8 graduate courses at the managerial level across the functional business disciplines (accounting, finance, marketing, organizational behavior and leadership, analytical decision making, global business systems, the global economy and strategic management
- At least three sport security management courses
- A supervised internship in the sport security management field
Sport security management courses
Introduction to Sport Security Management–Introduction to the nature and scope of sport security. Study of domestic and international threats, natural disasters and crowd management operation issues in sport.
Threat and Risk Assessment of Sport Venues – An overview of Homeland Security threat and risk assessment methodology as it applies to sport event venues. Students will learn how to identify vulnerabilities, analyze and mitigate risk, and harden sport facility physical protection systems.
Sport Event Emergency Response Planning – An overview of emergency response and security plans for major sporting events, including crowd management, and consequence and crisis management.
Master of Science in Sports Management
The Master of Science in Sport Management (MSSM) prepares professionals for advanced careers in the sport industry by enhancing their critical thinking skills and exposing them to expert knowledge and research in the field of sport. The sport business industry is one of the largest, fastest-growing and most popular industries in the United States. As a result, sport organizations are continually searching for tomorrow’s leaders with specialized training. The curriculum is designed to ensure students acquire management and leadership skills through a combination of required core courses, electives, research and experiential components.
The Master of Science in Sport Management program is available fully online, in the classroom, or a combination of the two.
Graduate Assistantships are competitive and waive up to the full cost of tuition for qualifying students. For more information about assistantships and other financial aid opportunities, visit www.usm.edu/graduate-school/funding-resources.
What classes will you take?
- Policy and Governance in Sport
- Study governing agency policy formation processes and administrative implementation in amateur and professional sports organizations.
- Socio-Ethical Issues in Sport
- Examine social issues such as gender, race and ethnicity, aggression, politics, religion, and class and social mobility within the context of the sport industry.
- Sport Venue and Event Management
- This course provides a practical background in all facets of managing a sports event and facility.
- Sport Marketing and Public Relations
- Learn tactics behind athletic promotion and fundraising, sponsorship and marketing.
Where have MSSM Graduates Been Employed?
What Requirements are there?
All students in the major are required to complete SM 700 (three-credit hour practicum/internship), which provides hands-on professional field experience.
||Summer admission and Fall admission seeking a graduate assistantship
||Final fall admission
Successfully advance your career by earning your MBA at Southern Miss!
The MBA program at Southern Miss is fully accredited by AACSB and ranked in the top 200 “Best Part-Time MBA Programs” by U.S. News and World Report.
For more information on the MBA program at Southern Miss, please contact:
Graduate Program Advisor